How to pack for a trip

One of the biggest issues related to taking a trip is how to pack appropriately.  Over the years, I've really pared down what I bring, and I want to share some tricks and ideas with you.  Packing for a weekend trip is much different than needing to bring enough for 6, 7, + days, so be sure you're smart about what you choose.


1.  Use space saver bags!  These are very easy to find.  I bought my first set from the Container Store, but similar styles can also be found at Walmart.  I will say that the ones I purchased from the Constainer Store have held up better, but they have all served their purpose well.  If you end up buying the ones from Walmart, be sure not to overfill the bag or they will rip, which then makes them useless.  I love these space saver bags because you don't need to vacuum out the air; the bags work via compression.  You fill the bags to the line indicated and then seal it, then roll and press down on the bag to remove the air.  When I fill the largest bag, it only takes up 3/4 of one side of my hard-sided suitcase, which still qualifies as a carry-on size with some airlines.  If you plan to buy souvenirs or just have a hard time packing light, space saver bags are a great option! Also, if you ever do a vacation with a tour company, you will likely be restricted to only one piece of luggage in the coach/bus storage compartment; space saver bags are ideal in that situation.

2.  If you're going to be gone for 8 days, don't take 8 complete outfits.  You can likely get by with 3 or 4 pairs of pants/skirts and 5 or 6 tops.  Most hotels have laundry facilities, if you really need to wash clothes.  I tend to wear yoga pants or other comfy bottoms for my flight days, so that I'm wearing the same pair of pants on the way over and the way back.  Comfort is key, after all!  This also cuts down on what I need to pack.  You also don't need a different pair of shoes for every outfit.  Learn to pack only one pair of shoes in addition to the pair you wear on the plane.  This will save lots of space in your suitcase!

3.  Know the exact size of your carry-on bag so that you don't get stopped at the gate.  There's not much worse for other travelers than when someone tries to bring on a bag that doesn't fit the measurement requirements.  It holds up your fellow travelers and makes you look foolish.  Since airlines have been adjusting the size they will allow, I recently just bought a slightly smaller bag to ensure I can use it as a carry-on.  If agents are asking people to check bags at the gate to open up space in the overhead bins, consider it if you don't really need anything in the bag until you land.  I always carry anything essential in my personal/hang luggage, in the event the crew is looking to check any bags at the last minute.  You don't pay when they're asking people to check bags at the gate, so I figure, why not?



4.  Keep all your chargers, cords, and converters together.  This cuts down on needing to dig through a bag in order to find what you need on the plane or in the airport during a layover.  I keep mine in a pouch/bag similar to this one.  You can also just use a generic zippered pouch of some kind that is big enough to fit all of your charging essentials.  Also, make sure you have the right attachments!  Some converters come with multiple options for different countries.  For instance, Iceland does not use the same outlet type as the UK, so I had to make sure I had both options during my trip earlier this year.

5.  Because I'm a scrapbooker, I also have to pack for that aspect of my life.  I always bring along either gallon-size ziploc baggies or large office envelopes (at least 8.5 x 11) in order to store all of the ticket, receipts, and brochures that I pick up along the way.  I date them, so that at the end of each day, everything gets dropped into the proper bag or envelope.  This makes it simple to keep it all organized while I'm on the go and easy to store once I get home.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Airbnb as a woman

100 Days Project

Booking Flights - Part 1