Booking Flights - Part 2



Today I'm doing Part 2 of info related to finding good flights when planning a trip.  Granted, most of my experience is with domestic US travel and flights to/within Europe.  So, keep that in mind as you read through this info.  First, if you didn't read the previous flights post, you should do that.  Then read on here...

4.  Have some tech knowledge:  When you search for flights through a site, it tracks what you're looking at for destinations, times, and prices.  You may notice that if you continually search for the same flights on your laptop (watching for price drops), for instance, that prices frequently go up, not down.  This is because your searches, behind the scenes, are being tracked and classified as increased personal demand.  So, if you want to search multiple times within a few days, vary your methods.  If you first look on your laptop, consider searching on your iPad next time.  Or your phone.  Also, you can use different browsers; instead of using Safari, maybe use Firefox.  The point is, mix it up so that sites can't track your repeated searches.  Also, become familiar with what cookies are (if you're not already).  To make sure your searches aren't sitting in your browser history, make sure you know how to clear them.

5.  Use reputable search sites:  This can be a touchy subject.  Some people may swear by Skyscanner, but I will never advise anyone I know to use it.  Why?  Well, you may find a great price option, but when you go to book the flight, you're sent to a third-party site.  Never, ever book through a third-party site unless you know something about them and have read all of the fine print.  Do your homework and read reviews; I have seen many reviews pointing out canceled flights, hidden charges, huge change fees, and horrible customer service.  I would recommend Kayak, Airfarewatchdog, Hotwire, or Momondo before I would send anyone to Skyscanner.  If you're looking to book on so-called budget airlines, like Frontier, Sun Country, JetBlue, or Southwest, it is often better to just go directly to their site, as some of the fare alert sites do not include them in their options.

6.  Seat assignments and bag fees:  Many airlines are now charging for seat assignments and have changed their bag policies and fees.  Be prepared that if you strongly prefer an aisle or window seat, you're likely going to pay extra for it.  If you're a solo traveler, like I am most of the time, and you don't care where you sit, then just wing it (pun intended).  I tend to be a relatively cheapo flyer, so if it is more than $5 to select a seat, I'll usually skip it and just deal with whatever I get.  If it's $5 or less, then I'm picking an aisle seat over the wing, baby!  In terms of baggage, some airlines (I'm looking at you, Frontier) now charge for carry-on bags, too.  Actually, one of the things I love about Southwest, in addition to their awesome customer service people and crews, is that they don't charge for bags.

7.   Travel insurance:  This is a somewhat individualized thing, but my personal rule of the thumb is that if I am traveling domestically, I don't buy it.  The coverage provided on my credit card (and my own medical insurance) is likely enough to take care of any snafus that might need to be covered.  However, I never fly out of the country without travel insurance through Travel Guard.  They have the easiest process and best plans I've found so far, as you can pick from different levels/tiers according to what you need.  Obviously, you want coverage for your travel expenses in case of canceled or delayed flights, lost items, etc., but you can also get medical coverage.  This is important just in case you fall down some steps and break a leg while at the Colosseum in Rome or if you bump your head on the pavement after one too many pints in Dublin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Airbnb as a woman

100 Days Project

Booking Flights - Part 1