Train travel (and booking tickets) in Europe

I've been doing more planning for my big trip this summer.  I land in Munich, and my first stop after that will be Salzburg, Austria.  I've been researching both bus and train routes, pricing, seating options, etc. for a while now.  While I originally had my mind set to take the bus to Salzburg, I've since changed my mind.  On many of the travel blogs that I read and different discussions I frequent, the consensus seems to be that taking the train has a much more scenic route.  So, while the train will be a bit more money, I'm willing to spend it for the views.  Prior to this upcoming trip, I've only used trains in the UK and France, so I'm excited to experience train travel in other countries.

Snacks on board a Virgin train in the UK

The planning is also different for me this time because I've gotten quite used to traveling solo, but I'll be traveling with a friend (and fellow scrapper) this time.  That means that pretty much every decision made has to work for both of us.  For instance, she wants to visit the Dachau concentration camp, while I do not.  So, we will likely split up for some of our time in Munich.  However, as far as booking transportation goes, we will be together the whole way.  Once I got confirmation from her that she was on board with taking the train (see what I did there?), I booked our tickets.  I compared several of the direct train websites with GoEuro; the pricing (at least when I looked) was within 1 Euro, so I chose to book with GoEuro.

The Eurostar train I took between England and France

There are some things to keep in mind about train travel in Europe.  First, it is much more common in Europe than it is in the United States.  We just don't have the same kind of infrastructure here; Amtrak is really the only major option for train travel, and those routes don't go everywhere.  In Europe, trains are everywhere!  There are subways/trams in most major cities, plus the long-haul trains that go between cities in various countries.  If you decide to use trains as your primary mode of transportation, many countries also have discount passes that allow you to get the most bang for your buck when you're visiting for more than a few days.  In most cases, you'll get the cheapest fare if you book in advance and if you travel during non-peak times.  If you've got a strict schedule, this may be tougher to do, but I'm usually able to make it work by planning accordingly.  On most trains, there will be options for 1st or 2nd class; 2nd class is just fine, but if you like the idea of having a meal served right to your seat, having free WiFi at a decent speed, and relaxing in roomier seats, then 1st class is the way to go.  For my train journey between Munich and Salzburg, I chose 2nd class, since the trip is under 2 hours. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Airbnb as a woman

Booking Flights - Part 1

100 Days Project