Yes, this.

I follow multiple travel blogs each day, and one of the sites I frequent the most is the one that belongs to Nomadic Matt.  I've been following for years, since I first felt the desire to travel, but was unsure where to start or how to research.  I've continued to follow his blog because he writes great articles (as do his guest writers), produces awesome travel guides, and even offers forums for travelers to talk to each other about their experiences and plans.

So, today I just read a recent post from Matt.  I'm linking it here because I want anyone to read it who is willing.  It's called The Culture Shock of Coming Home.  It talks about how travelers feel when they have to adjust to not traveling; it sounds simple, but it's actually quite complicated.  I've joked with people I know that I often have "post-trip depression" after I get back, but it isn't a joke; it is real.  It's almost as if I feel uncomfortable because the person who is in my house, running errands, doing the daily grind stuff isn't really me.  I think that's because I feel most alive, most me, when I travel.  I want all of the new experiences, different faces, unusual buildings... I want all of that, and I miss it terribly when I don't have it. 



I've gotten the sense more than once that I bore people around me when I start talking travel; this is specifically mentioned in Matt's article, so I know it doesn't just happen to me.  I'm just trying to share what I love, to bring back those awesome memories, the keep alive the me that travels.  Travel opens your mind and soul, it changes you.  And once that happens, you can't change back to your old self.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Airbnb as a woman

Booking Flights - Part 1

100 Days Project